Before You Renovate Your Home: 10 Things You Need to Know
Before you pick up a hammer or paint brush, or start ripping out cabinets for a home, kitchen, or bath renovation project, you need to review these suggestions to ensure your project flows smoothly from its beginning until its completion.
- Create a budget. If you jump in and start renovations without a budget, you will end up spending much more money than anticipated. Having a budget helps ensure you stay within your spending limit. It also does not hurt to tack on between 10 and 20% to the final estimate, just in case of unexpected surprises later.
- Shop around for contractors. Take the time to interview and meet with several contractors. Make sure to ask the contractor for referrals from other customers you can call.
- Spend some time reading about home remodeling and renovation. Get online and review what your project is going to entail. Many people post in various forums online and share their experiences, both good and bad, in order to help others avoid their mistakes and have a successful renovation.
- Have realistic expectations. Everyone dreams big and wants all the “bells and whistles,” but that is not always possible. Work with your contractor to see if your renovation can be completed in stages as you are able to afford it. This way, you can get everything you want, without having to take out a second mortgage.
- Make lists and check them twice. For each room you are renovating, have a list of all the materials that will be needed to complete the project. Have your contractor double-check the list prior to starting, so you can make sure everything is ordered and delivered on time.
- Avoid second guessing your decisions. Once your project is underway, if you question your decisions and decide to make changes it only adds to the project’s total costs, plus the time needed to complete it. If you have doubts, put off starting the project until you are happy with your decisions.
- Ask professionals for their recommendations and advice. Most design and renovation professionals are happy to make recommendations about what will and will not work, as well as current, popular design trends.
- Plan for the future. When making color choices, decide if you want something trendy today that you will need to change in the future, or if you want something more long lasting.
- Verify the project status each day. Your contractor should provide you with a schedule and expected completion timeframe. Take a few moments each day to confirm your project is proceeding as expected, and that there are no unexpected delays.
- Remember to have fun planning your renovation. There is nothing more exciting than seeing the rooms within your home slowly transform into how you envisioned them.
Call the remodeling and renovation experts at Creative Concepts Design Center today at 703-573-0033 for kitchen and bathroom remodeling, and whole house renovation project assistance.